Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the WWW2007 conference volunteers FAQ page. This is the place to find quick answers to some important questions regarding volunteering for WWW2007. New information will be updated periodically.
- Volunteers typically are people with an involvement in the World Wide Web, who are interested in experiencing the conference but otherwise, could not afford to attend. We are looking for people with a background in building and running networks, wireless LANs, and/or associated audio-visual technology.
- The program has evolved a lot over the last 15 conferences and the volunteer role is now defined as technical support. This means that you will be expected to have knowledge or experience in building and running a large distributed network to supply connectivity for the conference. We are also looking for people to set up and operate the specialised AV equipment that a conference of this type requires.
- You don't have to be an expert! Students and enthusiasts work alongside industry professionals. Enthusiasm and interest are important qualities. There are usually more applicants than positions so make sure you use the spaces provided in the registration form to tell us as much about yourself as possible. You must have a good attitude and an interest in the web but you definitely don't need a degree in computer science. The conference is a great place to learn more about web development and authoring but this kind of experience is not particularly relevant to volunteering. We are about Data Projectors, Routers and IP addresses, not HTML and XML.
- Volunteers receive a Passport Registration which allows access to all days of the conference as well as all social events. You will be required to work 40 hours on conference support if you are receiving accommodation. 25 hours if you have your own. There will be a flexible roster system that will allow you to schedule your work commitments between attending the parts of the conference that interest you.
- An online registration form is available. Just fill this out, submit it, and we will be in touch.
Any additional questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org