www 2009 Madrid


Flight Information

All flights arrive at Madrid-Barajas Airport which is located within city limits 12 km from the city center. It has four terminals T1, T2, T3 and T4 (with its satellite terminal T4S). Iberia Airlines and the rest of airlines belonging to the One World Alliance, British Airways, American Airlines,....... use the new terminal T4-T4S. With very few exceptions the rest of international airlines use Terminal T1.

To reach downtown:

  • By Subway (Metro): Take Line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios hub, estimated travel time is 15 minutes. There are two Airport Metro stations. One is located at terminal T2 and the other one at terminal T4. If you arrive to terminal T1 use the internal walkway to terminal T2. If you arrive to terminal T4S take the internal people mover connecting to T4 main building. The underground is usually called "El Metro". Metro tickets and bus tickets cost 1€ each (plus 1€ supplement at Airport stations). At underground stations you can buy a combined ticket called "Metrobus" that is valid for ten trips (underground or bus) and costs 6,70 €. The Metro is closed at nights from 2 am to 6 am. See Metro system map or obtain your optimum path.
  • By Taxi: There are official taxi stands outside each terminal. Travel time to central Madrid may take between 20 and 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions. Cost around €30. Taxis in Madrid are white with a red diagonal line across the front doors and are reasonably priced. You can hail them raising your hand at any point. A green light on the roof of the car indicates that the taxi is available. If you have mobility problems you can request a Eurotaxi.

Visa Information

Spain eagerly welcomes visitors from overseas. Anyone wishing to travel to and enter Spain must have a valid passport and/or the appropriate Spanish Visa. Below are general guidelines and not definitive statements of the law. Since conditions may vary, we recommend that you contact your local Spanish Consulate or Embassy for more information on these requirements.

European Union (EU) citizen

Citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland may enter Spain with a valid identification card (ID) or passport. Minors travelling with their ID card must have a document that shows parental authorization.

Non-European Union foreigners

Most non-EU foreigners need a Visa to enter the country. Citizens from the following countries may only require a valid passport to enter Spain if they are not staying longer than 90 days.

  • A-B: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei
  • C-G: Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala
  • H-M: Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco
  • N-R: Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Republic of Korea, Romania
  • S-Z: San Marino, Singapore, The Vatican, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela

Citizens from any other country require a valid passport and must request a Visa from the Spanish Consulate of your country of residence. We suggest you apply for the Visa well in advance (two months prior to your departure) to ensure that details are confirmed prior to your departure for the Conference.

Please note that the Spanish authorities may request documents showing where you will stay, return air tickets or a personal invitation letter. You may also be asked to show proof of having enough financial resources to support yourself during your stay in Spain.

If travelling with a minor, you may be required to provide proof of your relationship and/or permission from the parent(s) or legal guardian not present.