Track: Identifying Structure in Web Pages
Towards Domain-Independent Information Extraction from Web Tables
- Wolfgang Gatterbauer (DBAI, Vienna University of Technology)
- Paul Bohunsky (DBAI, Vienna University of Technology)
- Marcus Herzog (DBAI, Vienna University of Technology)
- Bernhard Krüpl (DBAI, Vienna University of Technology)
- Bernhard Pollak (DBAI, Vienna University of Technology)
Traditionally, information extraction from web tables has focused on small, more or less homogeneous corpora, often based on assumptions about the use of table tags. A multitude of different HTML implementations of web tables make these approaches difficult to scale. In this paper, we approach the problem of domain-independent information extraction from web tables by shifting our attention from the tree-based representation of web pages to a variation of the two-dimensional visual box model used by web browsers to display the information on the screen. The thereby obtained topological and style information allows us to fill the gap created by missing domain-specific knowledge about content and table templates. We believe that, in a future step, this approach can become the basis for a new way of large-scale knowledge acquisition from the current "Visual Web."