Driving Directions from Calgary International Airport to Banff
- When leaving Calgary International Airport, take Barlow Trail South for about 5 km (3 miles). Approximately 4 traffic lights.
- At the 16th Avenue intersection, turn right (west) toward Banff. The exit is on the right hand side. Note that 16th Avenue is also known as the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway #1).
- Follow 16th Avenue West slowly through the city of Calgary.
- At the west edge of Calgary, 16th Avenue speeds up and becomes Highway 1 West. Follow Highway 1 West for about 1 hour until you have passed the town of Canmore.
- You must stop at the Banff National Park
gates and obtain a valid park pass if you do not have one already.
It is illegal to stay overnight in the national park without a valid permit.
Prices range from $10 CDN to $100 CDN
depending on the number and age of the people in your vehicle,
and the planned length of your stay.
Credit cards are accepted.
- After the Park Gates keep following Highway 1 west.
- There are two Banff exits on the Trans-Canada Highway.
The first exit, called Banff/Lake Minnewanka,
is the one to use when traveling west to Banff from Calgary.
The exit is on the right hand side of the highway.
After taking the exit ramp, turn left to head toward the town of Banff.
Follow this forested road for several minutes
as it leads you onto Banff Avenue in the heart of the town of Banff.
(The second exit, called Banff/Mount Norquay,
is the one to use when returning to Banff from
the Lake Louise area, or if you missed the first exit.
Head into Banff, find Banff Avenue, and turn right toward the river.)
Continue along Banff Avenue until you are on a bridge crossing
the Bow River.
At the end of the bridge, turn left at the traffic lights, staying
in the left lane to follow the curving road of Spray Avenue for
about 1 km. The castle-like hotel will loom ahead on your left.
Valet parking ($26 CDN per day) is available at the main hotel entrance.
Self-parking ($19 CDN per day) is available in the parkade
just past the hotel, after the statue and roundabout (traffic circle).
Feel free to drop off your luggage at the main hotel entrance
prior to parking. No tipping of hotel staff is required. Really!