In 2004 the citizen card will be made available to Austrias citizens.
This card will provide every citizen that gets himself a certificate
with the ability to use it for digital signatures. A specially designed
security layer is responsible for creating and verifying such signatures
on the user side. For server applications that will be used e.g. within
ministeries providing web.services for their citizens, special
requirements hold. We present a concept for server-side modules, that is
currently in the final stage of being implemented as a
These modules provide a wide range of security features, including
digital signature creation and verification for CMS and XML-Dsig, and
automatic certificate validation. They are highly configurability, which
makes them applicable in many environments. We have payed special
attention to provide a very flexible, but easy to use Interface and to
achieve the high performance that is required in such environments. It
represents an effective and economic solution for signing and verifying
electronic documents of all kinds.
list of topics covered
- the austrian citizen card / security layer concept
- our server-module concept, it's components and their interworking
- key-management and hardware integration
- configurability and measures to allow for high performance
- outlook into the future: integrating ETSI TS 101.903 - XML advanced electronic signatures for long term verifyability the expected audience
Developers, who need to solve similar problems: creating and verifying signed documents on a server.